There is a restaurant not too far from my place. Its Shiraz. Biryani and many types of Mughlai dishes are available there. Mutton Rezala is one of their famous dishes. It tastes heavenly. So, today I tried it at home. It cannot be like Shiraz's but was not very bad as well. Instead of mutton, I used chicken. But with mutton it tastes really awesome. So just give it a try and you all would definitely like it.
- Chicken - 500 gm
- For the gravy
- Fresh thick curd - 300 gms
- Onion - 300 g (sliced and made to a paste)
- Black/white pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cardamom - 2
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon - 1"
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For seasoning
- Bay leaf - 1
- Dry red chilli - 2
- Black pepper(whole) - 1 tsp
- Ghee/Clarified butter - 5 tbsp
- Whole garam masala
- Wash the chicken and keep aside.
- Add curd to the onion paste and blend thoroughly in a blender. Mix pepper powder.
- Add the chicken pieces with the curd- onion- black pepper mixture along with bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and marinade for an hour.
- Next add salt and sugar to the marinated chicken and cook in the pressure cooker.
- Do not add water as there is enough water from the curd, meat and onion.
- In a kadhai, add ghee and throw in the seasoning. As soon as the aroma comes, pour the seasoning in the pressure cooker. Cover and boil for 2 more mins.
- Garnish with dry red chillies.
Chicken Rezala is ready to be served.
Note: Mutton rezala can also be prepared in the same way(use mutton chops or ribs with a layer of fat.Tastes really awesome).