Today I want to share the recipe of Sorshe llish, a famous Bengali delicacy cooked in mustard sauce gravy. This is very easy to prepare but tastes awesome. It can be done in microwave too. This recipe cooked by my mother is my all time favourite. Hope u all would also enjoy this traditional Bengali dish.
- Hilsa fish - 7-8 pieces
- Poppy seeds - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Kalonjee(nigella seeds) - 1tsp
- Yogurt - 2 tbsp (beaten)
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 4-5 (slit)
- Salt to taste and little sugar
- Mustard oil for cooking
- Grind mustard seeds and poppy seeds with 2 green chillies and little water to a smooth paste.
- Heat mustard oil in a kadhai/wok and temper with nigella seeds.
- Now slowly add the mustard-poppy seed paste diluted with little water. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and saute for a minute.
- Next add the yoghurt and stir well.
- Add salt and sugar and a cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Put the fish pieces gently in the kadhai adding slit green chillies.
- Cover and cook on low medium heat for 8-10 mins.
Serve warm with steamed rice and just N'Joy!