Prawn Malaikari- Bengal's PrideIn my earlier post I had promised to give the recipes of everything arranged on the platter. So, the first thing I posted was Chinghri Malaikari. This is a Bengali classic. Every Bengali knows that Prawn Malaikari is nothing but prawns cooked delicately in coconut milk which not only gives flavour but also has a fantastic aroma. Steamed rice with fragrant prawn malaikari - sounds yummy! Must try and don't forget to comment or subscribe.
- Chinghri/Prawns - 500 gms.( Shell removed and marinated with a bit of salt and turmeric powder)
- Bay leaf- 2
- Small cardamoms-2
- Cinnamon- 1 piece
- Clovers- 5
- Mustard oil- 3 tbsp.
- Onion- 1 (large-chopped)
- Garlic - 3 cloves (mashed)
- Ginger paste- 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp.
- Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Tomato - 1 (Chopped)
- Maggi Coconut Milk Powder- 1 packet
- Water- 3 cups
- Salt- To taste
- Sugar- 2 tsp.
- Green chillies- 4 ( Slit)
- Ghee- 1/2 tsp.
- Garam masala powder- 1 tsp.
1. Pour some mustard oil in a pan. Add the bay leaves,small cardamoms, cinnamon, clovers and stir fry until they start cracking.
2. In this, add the chopped onions, garlic and shallow fry till light brown.
3. Then , add the ginger paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder and stir for 1 minute. Next, add the tomato pieces and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the coconut milk powder in 1 cup hot water to prepare the coconut milk for the gravy.
5. Now, add the prawns in the pan. Add the coconut milk,salt, sugar, green chillies and sauté for 5-10 mins. till the prawns are cooked.
6. Lastly, add 1 tsp. ghee and 1/2 tsp. garam masala. Serve hot.
|Looks yummy, right?|