This is another famous bengali sweet. The name labanga latika comes from the clove/long attached to it. This is just a simple puri stuffed with mawa, given a cute shape, locked with a clove,fried and then soaked in sugar syrup. It becomes so soft after frying and soaking in sugar syrup that you would really love the taste of it. So do try out this traditional Bengali sweet and I am sure you all would definitely like it. So, just N'Joy!!
|Delicious Labanga Latika!!|
- Maida/All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Ghee/Clarified butter - 2 tbsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Baking soda - a pinch
- Sugar - a pinch
- Cloves -as needed
- Mawa-1/ 4cup
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar- 3 tbsp(powdered)
- Raisins - 10 (U can also use chopped nuts - cashews, almonds, pistachios)
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- In a mixing bowl, add maida, ghee, salt, sugar. Mix well and knead into a stiff dough slowly adding warm water.
- Keep it covered for 1/2 an hour.
- Knead once more and make lemon sized balls from the dough.
- In a pan, take sugar and water and heat on medium heat till it reaches medium consistency.Remove from heat and keep it warm.
- In a microwave bowl mix all the ingredients under stuffing and microwave for 5-6 mins stirring frequently. Allow it to cool and divide the stuffing into 8- 9 portions.
- Take each small ball made from the dough and roll them out in the shape of a circle. Put a portion of the stuffing at the centre.
- Now take two ends of the circle and cover the stuffing by overlaping each other. Now flip it to the other side and wrap two sides on another.Finally put the clove on top to lock them well.Apply pressure gently so that they stick well.
- Deep fry the lavang latikas/envelopes in medium heat till golden brown and crisp. Drain on a paper towel to soak the excess oil and dip them in the sugar syrup. Let it soak in the sugar syrup for at least half an hour.
- Serve delicious labanga latikas hot or cold.