I love spicy cooking specially on weekends.This is a quite simple dish, yet delicious and mouthwatering. It is a wholesome dish and can be relished simply with plain rice,salad and raita. The thickened rich gravy tastes just as good with hot chapattis and parathas. This is my mother's recipe as this used to be our Sunday special. Try to prepare this in a pressure cooker where u can save your time as well as make the mutton really tender and juicy. So, just try it out and N'Joy!!
- Mutton - 1 kg (washed and cleaned)
- Potato (Cut in half) - 2 (Optional)
- Onion - 3
- Ginger - 2" piece
- Garlic - 10-12 cloves\
- Tomato - 1 (chopped)
- Yoghurt - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder/Kashmiri mirch - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 2 tsp
- Mustard oil - 2 tbsp
- Whole spices - (cardamom-4, cloves- 4, cinnamon - 2" stick)
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- Bay leaf - 2-3
- Salt to taste
- Make a paste of onion, ginger and garlic.
- In a bowl, marinate the meat with onion,ginger,garlic paste, tomato, turmeric, red chilli, cumin powder, yoghurt, mustard oil and salt for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oil in a kadhai /pressure cooker. To it add a tsp of sugar and caramelize it. Next temper the oil with half of the whole spices and bay leaf.
- Now fry the potatoes and add the marinated mutton. Mix everything well and let it cook for some time. Stir in between so that the meat does not stick to the bottom of the cooker/kadhai.
- The met will leave some water.Wait for the water to dry up and the mutton to change colour. If you want a rich gravy cook till oil leaves the surface and add little water, but if you want a lighter gravy, stir well and add enough water. Adjust salt and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook on high till one whistle and then simmer and give two whistles and switch off.
- Now make a wet paste with 2-3 green cardamom, 2 cloves, 1" cinnamon and little water. Once the pressure is released open the lid and add the freshly made garam masala paste and a tsp of ghee/clarified butter.
- Close the lid again to retain the flavour of garam masala and open at the time of serving.
- Serve hot with plain steamed rice / pulao. N'Joy!!