Doi Maach/ Fish In Yoghurt GravyThis is a very authentic Bengali fish dish which is quite easy to prepare and served typically on any special or festive occasion. Some do not fry the fish but marinates the raw fish in the yoghurt mixed with turmeric, red chilli, salt and sugar and then adds to the onion paste. But I made the fried fish version. Just try it out and I think you will like it. N'joy!!
- Rohu/Katla fish - 1/2 kg (cut in thick pieces)
- Yoghurt/Curd - 1 cup
- Onion paste - 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies - 3-4
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard oil - 4 tbsp
- Cardamom - 3-4
- Cinnamon - 1" stick
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Wash the fish pieces, marinate with salt and turmeric and fry them lightly in mustard oil.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cardamom, cinnamon and green chillies.Now add the onion paste and cook till it turns brownish and the raw smell goes off.
- Next add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and sugar and cook for a few minutes.
- Add little amount of water to the yoghurt and add slowly to the pan stirring continuously.
- Cook till oil starts separating from the mixture and then add the fried fish pieces and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add some water to the mixture and cook for 10 mins. on low flame.
- When the fish gets cooked perfectly, switch off the flame.
- Serve the Doi Maach with hot steamed rice and N'Joy!!