Dalma - Lentils Brewed With VeggiesDalma is a mixture of lentils and vegetables cooked together with various spices and seasonings giving the dish a rich colour and flavour. This is a classic cuisine from Orissa, a coastal state of eastern India.
Lentils and vegetables are a good combination of proteins and vitamins. So, it becomes a wholesome and nutritious dish. So try it out and you would surely like it.
|Yummy and Healthy Dalma !|
Tuvar/Toor/Arhar dal(Red Gram) - 1/2 cup
Ginger - 2 tbsp (grated)
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbs
Veggies cut in large chunks
Potato - 1
Green beans - 7-8
Pumpkin - 10 - 12 pieces
Raw papaya - 8-10 pieces
Tomato - 1
Carrot - 1
Green peas - 1/2 cup
Cauliflower - 8-10 florets
Asafoetida / Hing - A pinch
Bay leaf - 1
Red chilli (whole) - 2
Paanch phoran - (equal measure of mustard seed, fennel seeds, cumin seeds , fenugreek seeds, nigella/kalongi seeds)
Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
Roasted and ground red chilli and cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves (chopped)- 1-2 tsp
Ghee/clarified butter - 2 tsp
- Wash the lentils and soak them for at least an hour.
- Cut the veggies in large chunks.
- Pressure cook the lentils with enough water till half cooked. Now add the vegetables and cook with the half cooked lentils till 1 whistle with salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with hing, paanch phoran, red chilli, coriander seeds, bay leaf. When it crackles, add the grated ginger and stir a little. Now add the lentils with the veggies and add a cup of warm water.Stir and simmer on low heat till done. The consistency of the dal should be thick and creamy.
- Garnish it with roasted red chilli and cumin powder, ghee and chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice /rotis. N'Joy!
Sending this to: Chandrani's Spotlight:Show Your Best Creation and Original Spotlight Announcement Page