Microwaved Tomato RasamRasam is a type of South Indian soup. Rasam is a fat- free, digestive and also good for the throat when suffering from cold . I am trying it for the 1st time. I've heard of many types of rasam-apple rasam, lemon rasam etc but I have made tomato rasam. Tamarind juice, along with chillies, cumin and tomato are added to give it a special but delicious taste. Many blogs have at least one rasam recipe so I thought of making it and it turned out to be better than I thought! So, those who have not made rasam yet, don't waste time, try it out. (And don't forget to comment or subscribe!! Njoy!)
- Tomatoes - 5
- Water - 5 cups
- Garlic cloves - 6
- Pepper corn - 5-6
- Cumin/jeera seeds - 1 tsp
- Tamarind juice - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies (whole) - 4
- Curry leaves - few
- Salt to taste
- Dry grind peppercorns and jeera/cumin seeds coarsely and keep aside. This is the rasam powder which is used in this recipe.
1. Place tomatoes, garlic,water in a microwave safe bowl at microwave for 5 mins at 100% power.
2. Remove the skin,blend and strain it.
3. Add tamarind juice, rasam powder, salt and curry leaves.
4. In another microwave safe bowl, for tempering, put oil, mustard seeds, whole red chilli, curry leaves and microwave for 2 mins at 100% power.
5. Add this tempering to tomato and tamarind juice. Microwave for 5 mins at 100% power.
6. Garnish with coriander. Stir well before serving and then serve hot with Vegetable Masala Idli / steamed rice. You can also have rasam as a healthy soup.