Green Peas KachoriGreen peas kachori or koraishutir kachori is a very traditional and authentic Bengali snack with the onset of winter. The sweet taste of the green peas along with the various spices makes it really tasty. Overall, green peas kachori and baby potato curry/alu dam is the best combination. I will give the recipe of aludam very soon. Till then do keep reading my blog. (Step by step pictures will be provided. And don't forget to comment or subscribe! Njoy!)
- All purpose flour/maida - 2 cups
- Refined oil - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Water to knead the dough
- Green peas - 1 cup (Fresh/ frozen)
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp (crushed)
- Green chillies - 3/4
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Ginger - 1/2" piece(finely chopped)
- Chilli-cumin powder - 2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil for frying
1. Combine flour, salt, refined oil and water to make a smooth, soft dough. Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside for 2-3 hours.
2. Chilli-cumin powder - Roast 1 tsp cumin seeds and 2 whole red chillies in a griddle till they turn crispy. Grind to a fine powder.
3. Coarsely grind the peas and green chillies together.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Lower the heat and add asafoetida , when it sizzles add ginger, crushed fennel seeds, peas-g.chilli paste salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for 5-6 mins stirring continuously so that it does not burn. Add the chilli-cumin powder and cook for 2 more mins. When the mixture turns dry remove from heat and keep aside.
5. Now make 18-20 equal sized balls out of the dough and roll them out in circular shapes.
6. Now place some stuffing in the center and gather the edges to make a small ball again. Roll each into a disc about 3" in diameter.
7. Deep fry in low flame till golden brown in colour.
8. Drain excess oil and serve hot with baby potato curry/ ketchup/ green chutney.
How to make Green Chutney:
Grind 1 cup chopped coriander leaves, 1/2 cup mint leaves, 1" ginger, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 green chilli, juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 tsp black salt, 1 tsp roasted and grounded cumin seeds and salt to taste with little water in a mixer to a smooth paste. This can be stored in a refrigerator for 15-20 days and can be served with many snacks.