Soya Biryani- With A Twist
- Soya chunks - 1/2 cup
- Cooked rice - 1 cup
- Green cardamom- 2-3
- Bay leaf-2
- Cinnamon stick-1"
- Salt to taste
For the masala:
- Onion- 1/2 cup (Chopped)
- Jeera- 1/2 tsp.
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tsp.
- Tomato- 1 cup (Chopped)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp.
- Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander powder-1/2 tsp.
- Yoghurt- 1/4 cup
- Boiled vegetables- 1 1/2 cup ( Of your choice)
- Pudina leaves- 1/4 cup (Chopped)
- Coriander leaves- 1/4 cup (Chopped)
- Soya bean oil- 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste
To make the masala:
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add whole jeera and let it crackle.
2. Add the chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. Stir till light -brown.
3. Then, add tomato, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and coriander powder. Cook till tomatoes become soft. Add 1/4 cup water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. In this mixture, add yoghurt, a pinch of salt and the boiled vegetables and cook for 7-8 minutes or till the water dries up.
5. Lastly, garnish with chopped coriander and pudina leaves. Keep aside.
To make the soya chunks:
1. In a pan with 2 cups of water, add the soya pieces , cardamom and cinnamon, by leaf and salt. Cook in medium heat till the soya chunks become tender. Drain in the excess water.
2. Mix the soya chunks (Boiled) with the cooked rice. Keep aside.
How to make the "Soya Biryani"-
1. Spread 1/2 of the soyabean- rice mixture in a 8" diameter baking dish.
2. Now top the soyabean-rice mixture with the prepared masala.
3. Add rest of the soya- rice mixture on top of the masala.
4. Cover the baking dish with an aluminiun foil and bake for 30 mins at 350 degrees F.
5. Serve hot with raita and garnish with chopped pudina leaves.